poppies

celeste(7a)March 22, 2008

I have grown a gorgeous opium poppy and a California poppy here in Georgia. While thumbing through my new "Seeds of Change" catalog, I noticed some pretty varieties that I can't seem to find a zone in which they can grow. So, has anyone tried the "Black Peony" (P. somniferum var. peoniflorum) or the "Apricotia" (P. ruprifragum) or the "White Peshwar" with any success here in the ATL area?

Several years ago, I brought some of the Himalayan blue poppy seeds and didn't even get germination. Of course, I should have known since they are native to higher, cooler elevation.

Just checking out the poppy growers here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Nell Jean

Diane of Diane's Seeds says, "Frankly, I can't tell the difference between Papaver rupifragum and Papaver atlanticum. They both bloom the first year from seed and can be used interchangeably in the garden. Hardy in zones 5-9."

I have Black Peony poppy foliage about 5" tall, a little later than the unknown volunteers; ahead of the maroon poppies. California poppies are blooming; Iceland poppies are just coming into bloom -- I've seen an orange, two whites and a yellow. Corn poppies are everywhere, self sown and otherwise, in all stages of growth.

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Help in Southern IL
I moved from NW GA to near St Louis, Paduch, the Ohio...
organic_gardenhag
Baptisia arachnifera (wild indigo, hairy false indigo)
I understand this is a native Georgia plant. I have...
Evenshade 8a
Camellia sinensis
"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than...
girlgroupgirl
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Sponsored Products
Roberto Lombardi 'Poppy Fields' Canvas Art
Overstock.com
Poppy Buttons Armchair
$699.99 | Dot & Bo
Field of Poppies Indoor Rug
Grandin Road
Home Decorators Area Rug: Dinora Poppy 2' x 3'
$49.00 | Home Depot
Hive | Poppy Small Pendant Light
$900.00 | YLighting