disease

capecodder(z6 MA)July 5, 2013

I have close to 100 kinds of daylilies in my perennial beds. For several years now, there are always lots of diseased looking leaves, or leaves that are all brown. I don't think it is rust...
and nearly every plant has it. I've been pulling a lot of the discolored leaves and tossing them (not in my compost pile, however). This morning I when I pulled a bunch of these ugly leaves, 2 fans came right out of the ground. No roots at all.
All my plants are blooming like crazy (more than ever this year, with all the rain) so they aren't bothered by these ugly leaves, but I sure am. Any suggestions or directions for what I should do? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ed(z7aOK)

The problem may be voles or moles. If the root mass is diminished, the foliage will die back. If you have plants, as you say, with no roots, that may be the problem. Certainly, with lots of rain, your foliage should be healthy, unless you have poor air circulation, which can cause leaf streak. Leaf streak is a fungal disease similar to rust that is caused by poor air circulation during moist/wet weather. It will cause ugly foliage with brown to yellow streaks, but will not kill the plant.
Good luck, Ed

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 2:45PM
organic_kitten(8)

If you think voles may be your problem, and I have lost several daylilies to them before I found out how to run them off, look for holes in the ground...you may see raised areas too. If they are there, get some castor oil from Walmart or a drug store and pour a little in the hole, and sprinkle it amoungst the daylilies the voles will leave.
kay

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 3:10PM
capecodder(z6 MA)

I think leaf streak is likely. I have had trouble with voles in the past but haven't seen evidence this year. My flowers are so gorgeous and I just hate those ugly leaves. Every plant needs divided, but lack of room (and energy, for that matter) prevents me from doing it. I do plan to try this fall, however. Thanks for the tip re castor oil. I'll try that next time I see a hole.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 8:33AM
Ed(z7aOK)

If it is leaf streak, you may treat by spraying with Cleary's 3336 50WP or Systhane 40WP. Treat every 2 weeks while symptoms persist.
Ed

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 1:39PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

I am having the same problem, I think. It started w/ my spiderwort (tradescantia), but now I am seeing brown leaves on my daylilies.
I do have a problem w/ voles, and have used some castor oil, but did not realize they would eat my daylilies too (I think they killed one of my butterfly bushes). I don't think it is leaf streak because my spiderwort eventually succumbs to it and dies. Also, I have rudbeckia plants and they slowly get sick and die. VERY annoying. I think I will broaden the area I covered w/ the castor oil, and try to make time to take a couple plants in to the extension office soon. Thanks, Brandy

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Fertilizing daylily seedlings
My sprouts are about 2 weeks old and getting to be...
nancykvb
Pretty Pinks Posing Prettily
There were a lot of pinks drawing my attention in the...
shive
in case anyone is interested
here is the link to Daylily Mecca info , in case anyone...
signet_gw
Best deer repellant?
I'm fairly new at daylillies, and I know that the deer...
bigack
Question About Seed Sprouting
I was throwing out some old seed packets that were...
alameda/zone 8
Sponsored Products
Novelty Lamps: Ionic Crystal Hand Carved Salt Bowl Lamp (7-9lbs) 1326
$34.97 | Home Depot
Terminix ALLCLEAR Backyard Mister with Bonus Brown Concentrate
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Allergen/Water Resistant Mattress Pad - Queen
$39.00 | FRONTGATE
Vigoroot Tomato/Potato Planter
$7.99 | zulily
Outdoor Set of Six Conceal 6"H Mosquito Repellant Candles
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Novelty Lamps: Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Basket Lamp - Wide (8-10lbs) 1301
$29.97 | Home Depot
WBM Himalayan Lamps Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Basket Lamp - Tall (9-11lbs)
$23.95 | Home Depot
Live Border Hydrangea Cityine Paris
$16.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™