Rose recommendations for screening hedge

rosesr4me(z9 FL_west)April 30, 2012

I would like to replace about 30 feet of viburnam hedge with roses between my house and my neighbors. Once the viburnam is removed there will be a 6' solid white PVC fence that my neighbors installed along the property boundary. Not crazy about PVC fences, especially white PVC on a southern exposure! I would like to find an low maintenance large shrubby/bushy rose that will get to about 10' high for privacy between the houses, but no wider than 6 feet since my sideyard is narrow. Any color is fine...just really need an easy care rose that will provide privacy. Any suggestions? Thanks to all in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
imagardener2(9-10)

Are you sure about choosing roses as a hedge? I love roses but they are not the best hedge unless it's for discouraging access by thorns.

My suggestions:
Firebush-nice bushy and may attract hummingbirds. Pretty flowers.
Bamboo-more expensive per foot to plant but super privacy at greater heights and no maintenance. There are narrow bamboo types available, "gracilis" for example

I do love the visual picture of a rose against the white fence. Maybe do a climbing rose in the front where privacy is not paramount. Roses don't really "vine" like true climbing plants but in several years time it would be lovely.

My own hedge (no fence) is mixed, a little of this and that: bamboo, elderberry, cassia tree, roses plus smaller bloomers below/in front. The bamboo provides the most screening.

Denise

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™