Choosing a garden site- need opinions

joycejoannMarch 5, 2012

I grew up in Montana, and lived in Iowa the last few years. Gardening is going to be so different here! I plan to grow vegetables in raised beds. But I can't decide where to put them.

Instead of trying to describe my property in full detail, I thought I'd just give you my address to take a look on google maps satellite image.

20 Hickory Ct, Oxford, ga 30054

Please tell me what area you would plant a garden.

We just moved in, so I'm planning on just composting this year, and getting the beds built in the winter, but I'm still antsy to decide.

Of course, I can't get away with a garden in the front yard, but it might be possible on the right side of the house, by the row of trees. But to access it, I'd have to walk all the way around the house. The back yard is partly shaded, and I have no idea where would be good. Also, our neighborhood is very rocky, with enormous rocks sticking up through people's lawns. Should I be looking for a spot without big slabs of rock 6 in. deep?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'd go for the northeast side of the driveway - easy access, easy to keep an eye on, etc. Since you are doing raised beds, rocks shouldn't be a big issue.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 9:51PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

link

Here is a link that might be useful: 20 Hickory Ct, Oxford, ga 30054

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 10:06PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Brandon7 has a very good point, you need the beds near the house for watering, easy access, reminders to harvest etc.
I can't quite tell what time of day that photo is taken, it looks like perhaps about 1:30 pm (or say, 11 am). Shade patterns make a big difference, as to siting a garden, and I can see two possible shade problems there.
The other is critters. Large trees attract critters that like your garden. It's farther away, but the part of your yard that is completely open and sunny may be squirrel proof.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
winter veggies in straw bale garden?
I have used the straw bale gardening method in spots...
katy_bug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™