Geranium 'Splish-Splash'

christinmk z5b eastern WAJune 21, 2007

Hi! I posted this question several days ago on the perennial forum, but I only got one response. I totally forgot there was a Geranium Forum, or I would have posted here first. Maybe you guys can help me. Early this spring a bought a splish-splash geranium; I planted it in dappled shade behind my apple tree. It took off great and is allready very large. It bloomed a couple of days ago...im a bit dissapointed, there are not very may blue streaks in it. Is it normal for this cultivar? It doesnt look at all like the pictures of it in the catalogs. Is there anything I can possibly do to get the 'splash' back in it? Would moving it to a diffrent location help at all? Thanks in advance!

CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_norway(h2)

Even though I collect Geraniums and have almost 100 different, 'Splish-Splash' is not good enough for my garden. It is loose in its growing, the flowers seldom lives up to the expectations, and I find it generely not garden-worthig. Because its a pratense it is also prone to get what we is called meldugg (don't remember the English word).
There are so many beautiful cranesbills so find another to have in your garden, is my advice.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 3:49PM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Thanks for advise! What would be a good Geranium to replace it with?
P.S. meldugg...is the word you mean 'leggy'??
CMK

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 9:55PM
kitkat_oregon(7)

I agree with ann, my splish splash was slop splatt actually, dull as ditch water. You could try moving it to sunnier climbs and see if the color improves but, I have not seen ONE in bloom that looks like the pictures. Too bad really, because it seems to be a very eager grower, yes, perhaps a little leggy, ... meldugg, hmmm, please advise the meaning for this wonderful word, Ann.
Thanks. Kat

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 8:36PM
bonnys

Well I really love mine and am very happy with it other than the fact that only one of the three I planted last year survived. Mine is in full sun. When it first bloomed it was pretty white but as the flowers have aged they have gotten the blue splashes in them. They are planted in front of my Hollywood which looks a little washed out from the bright sun. I love perennial geraniums.
Bonny

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 7:22PM
sycamore_guy(Zone 5)

I believe meldugg is mildew.

Bookmark   December 29, 2008 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
What is the name of this flower?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the...
Shaz79
How to Improve Geranium Bloom Fullness?
Last year was my first year growing geraniums from...
kdog2568
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™