How should I deadhead geraniums?

cckk(z7 GA)June 6, 2005

I'm new at geranium gardening. Should I just pick off the brown little spikes and spent blooms or can I cut the stalk if there are no new buds underneath? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

Cut the spent stalk back to the point of origin.

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 1:49PM
jordung(03895)

You deadhead geraniums by snapping the stem off at the place it is joined to the stem. Thus encourades new growth.

Bookmark   July 25, 2005 at 9:01PM
cantstopgardening(Zone 4/5 WI)

I use a purple handled pet toe-nail trimmer that I ended up buying two of last year at fair time, for trimming rabbit toenals.Well, darn trimmers don't work well on pets nails, but they work grerat on plants. The reason I don't just snap off by hand is my carpal tunnel syndrome leaves me with poor hand control sometimes, and I end up breaking leaf stems too when snapping off spent blooms by hand. Before I had so much nerve damage, I just snapped the blooms off by hand.

Anywhoo, the purple trimmers can handle being run through the dishwasher, so I pop them into the dishwasher after trimming, to reduce chance of spreading things. So, these little trimmers ended up being a good thing. And I learned that rabbit toenails trim just fine with a human toenail trimmers ;-)

Jean

Bookmark   July 31, 2005 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Where to find a Red 'Black Vesuvius' dwarf Geranium?
I am interested in obtaining a Red 'Black Vesuvius'...
partybra
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
Hardy Geraniums older thread.....
any additions of your favorites to this older thread: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1632443/hardy-geraniums-revisited...
oldtimegal57
Geranium cutting- how long before they flower?
Hiyas, I took some geranium cuttings (zonal) about...
Novice.123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™