pelargonium cuttings

bjames(6)June 6, 2009

After rooting a pelargonium cutting in water and potting it in soil, how moist should the soil be kept until the plantlet has adapted to its new environment in soil and is stable enough to allow the soil to somewhat dry between watering, as mature pelargoniums should be maintained?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carapuz

geranium care
www.careplants.org

Here is a link that might be useful: www.careplants.org

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 12:09PM
geranium_hybrid(6)

Usually, I just stick my cuttings into a mix I make. (peat and verm.)
They usually root quickly. But when you root them in water, because they are used to the water, keep the soil mosit, not wet. (it may rot) Keep it moist until you see the plant get a new set of leaves. This will ensure you that the cutting is succesfull and can go off by itself.

Then after that, you can let it dry out between waterings.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 11:43PM
oilpainter(3)

I have been taking cuttings for many years and this is how I do it. I take my cutting just below a leaf because the roots will form at the leaf node.I strip off all the leaves except the top 3 or 4. Then I lay them out on newspaper on my spare room floor for 5 days to callus over. The cut end will shrivel and scab over. Then I dip them in rooting hormone (for softwood cuttings)Dibble a hole in my thoroughly moistened (not overly wet) soil in my pots and drop it in and cover in. I keep them moist but not wet. You know they have rooted when they show new growth.

The callusing over cuts down on the incidence of blackleg--rotting of the cutting.

An excellent gardener told me years ago that cuttings rooted in water develop soft roots that fall off when it is transplanted into soil, and to root them in soil. I don't know if it is true but this way works for me.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 2:50PM
oilpainter(3)

I forgot to add that the soil is not soil at all but a soilless mix. I use pro mix or one formulated for cuttings and seeds.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Geranium leaf turning yellow - picture attached
Hi, I have got 2 trailing geraniums. One is fine but...
Chellam
Geranium and snow pic
Just looking out my kitchen window at the snow and...
pandora
seeds from china fake or real?
I have been growing geranium from seeds for some time...
gonene1
Overwintering a long deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
How to Improve Geranium Bloom Fullness?
Last year was my first year growing geraniums from...
kdog2568
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™