leggy geranium

ralgam(z5 NH)June 17, 2006

I planted some Rozannes last year. They came back and looked great a month ago. Now, instead of being nice and bushy lilke they were, they're thin and leggy. What can I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freebird(z5/6PA)

It is probably sun. I have Rozanne's planted in several different lighting situations in my yard. The ones planted in part shade are thin and somewhat leggy. The ones planted in full sun are full and thick. I recently purchased some Rozannes from a local nursery that had them growing in a shaded hoop. They were very leggy. But, a few weeks in the sun and there is thick new growth emerging from the crown.

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 8:04AM
ralgam(z5 NH)

What kind of fertilizer do they need and how often?

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 9:03AM
caroldiane(5)

Ral, as with many annuals, geraniums in summer heat begin to look ratty. What we have to do is make them want to do better for themselves. Where the legginess shows, just pinch or cut back and make the plant want to replace that part.

Pinch off the long and wilting leaves and blooms. Give the plant all the sun you can.....but 6 to 8 hours is a must.
Water the plant ....if a hanging basket, about every day..and always to the draining point......garden beds can get along better.
Fertilize with any 15/30/15 about every 10 days to 2 weeks.

And let's not forget, before frost hits geraniums, they can be taken indoors to further their blooming time....Or...
can be considered for wintering over and bringing back next spring....as good...or better than ever.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 6:23PM
freebird(z5/6PA)

Ralgam, I believe that caroldiane, is referring to pelargoniums, the annual geraniums, not hardy geraniums. As for fertilizer, I just use a timed release fertilizer.

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 6:57AM
More Discussions
Overwintering geraniums.
Hi folks I would like some advice. I have a raised...
averil
Best way to care for this geranium?
Hi All, I have this geranium my girlfriend got somewhere...
sergtheuke
Geranium leaf turning yellow - picture attached
Hi, I have got 2 trailing geraniums. One is fine but...
Chellam
What is the name of this flower?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the...
Shaz79
Seed Geranium or Cutting for baskets
After growing several vegetables from seed I'm going...
obrionusa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™