Where Do You Find Fragrance For Next Winter

longriver(SF Bay Area)July 2, 2008

I know it is getting warm in US. Yet during the cold winter time, the earth and fragrant plants seem in bleak dormancy.

You can prepare yourself to have fragrant plants now for the winter. There are Wintersweet and fragrant Camellias. If your place is too cold for camellia, you can keep the fragrant camellia in a pot and move it indoor during freezing strom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

longriver,
I have a hughe sweet olive tree in a big pot that I take outside every May until October, then I bring it inside for the winter.
In November, it starts to bloom and the smell fills the whole room it is in. It is potent.
This year, it actually bloomed heavily til the end of June.
It was full of flowers from November through the end of June. Smelled great!
I am going to have to cut it down for this fall though, it is getting too big for me to carry up the stairs in the cold weather.
I'm sure it will be OK. It is definately worth the trouble when it starts to bloom all winter and it smells like summer.
Love it!

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 12:09AM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

Butterfly4u:Thanks for your information: I am collecting a few varieties of O.manthus. Did you purchase your Sweet Oliver locally? Do you have any information about your cultivar? American native Sweet Oliver has a long blooming time. If you are in cold area and also fool the nature by placing the plant indoor; which might extend the flowering duration.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 6:16PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Quite a few fragrant winter blooming things for SF Bay Area gardens. Jasminum polyanthum/Pink Jasmine for one, Daphne odora, Paperwhite Narcissus, Pittosporum undulatum and Pittosporum tobira can often bloom in winter here in Berkeley. Fragrant foliage to be brushed against at any season might include Coleonema pulchrum and Prostanthera ovalifolium, and if you have room for a large growing tree, the Lemon Gum/Eucalyptus citriodora, is wonderfully fragrant if you crush the foliage.

Osmanthus fragrans also easily blooms outdoors in winter here by the bay, so no need to bring it indoors.

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 1:46PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

My potted orange and lemon trees usually bloom in January. heavenly!

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 10:01PM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

Great ideas! bahia and annebert
Yes I have a huge Daphne odor and many others. In Bay Area, we have more choice. I am at Orinda on the other side of hill.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
Millingtonia hortensis
I see that Logee's has Millingtonia hortensis on sale...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Blooming in February! We are late!!!
It is almost spring, why hasn't a thread on Blooming...
rubyjchang
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™