Any benefit to deadheading

wigardenerwannabe(Z5 WI)June 13, 2007

hardy geraniums? I have several varieties of perrenial geraniums and have always wondered if there is any reason to take off the small blooms once they are done blooming.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Many varieties benefit from a routine shearing or cutting back of the entire plant after the major bloom flush. This will result in a refreshing of the foliage, keep the growth habit compact and will generally result in a decent rebloom as well. Easier than deadheading individual flowers and slows those that have a propensity to self-seed as well.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 9:12AM
birdsnblooms

What exactly is a hardy geranium? Can it be left in ground/outside yr round? Do they resemble those sold as annuals?
I grow annual types indoors but they live on forever..are these the same as hardy? Even though they'd never grow outdoors in winter here in IL..Thanks, Toni

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 1:49PM
daisy_ny6(z6 NY)

Hardy geraniums are true geraniums unlike the annual sort which are pelargoniums, botanically speaking - they are not related. They can and should be left in the ground overnight; they will disappear over winter and reappear in the spring.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
How to Improve Geranium Bloom Fullness?
Last year was my first year growing geraniums from...
kdog2568
Hardy Geranium help..
I am new to gardening in z8b Texas. I had a question...
pinkkpearls
What is the name of this flower?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the...
Shaz79
Geranium leaf turning yellow - picture attached
Hi, I have got 2 trailing geraniums. One is fine but...
Chellam
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™