Recommend a Blue-Flowering Cranesbill for My Area

leafy02(6 Central Kentucky)June 30, 2009

I have several St. Ola cranesbill which bloom white, and would like some with light blue/lavender flowers for a nearby spot.

My goal is to steer away from the hotter shades of purple--a cool look is what I am after.

Online research indicates that some of the blue varieties (e.g. have blue in the name) are listed as blooming purple, violet, or even magenta.

Any recommendations for plants you've known to always bloom a cooler blue/purple?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Some of the many forms of G. himalayense and/or G. pratense may be closer to the "cooler blue" that you are looking for. These plants are however, typically much larger than the 'St. Ola' (G. Ã cantabrigiense) you have.

In addition to the popular 'Rozanne', I've always been a big fan of G. Ã magnificum, although this is also likely too dark of a purple-blue for what you prefer.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 9:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

'Brookside', 'Orion', 'Jolly Bee', 'Rozanne', 'Amy Doncaster' and 'Mayflower' are all geraniums on the blue-er side. However they are all taller than 'St.Ola' and bloom at various times. I also grow G. magnificum 'Rosemoor', but it is more of a purple-blue.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
Starting from seed.Scarlet Pelargonium x Hortum
I will be starting Geranium inspire Scarlet Pelargonium...
ontheteam
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
Best way to care for this geranium?
Hi All, I have this geranium my girlfriend got somewhere...
sergtheuke
want to trade pelagornium seeds/cuttings
Would like to trade seeds (horea and Otidia and various...
asclepchris
Hardy Geraniums older thread.....
any additions of your favorites to this older thread: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1632443/hardy-geraniums-revisited...
oldtimegal57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™