pruning question

treelover(z8b SoCtrlTX)July 14, 2006

I have a couple of scented pelargoniums--a pineapple & a lemon--in pots, that have gotten really leggy. One of them was supposed to be suitable for training as a standard, but I can't remember which, and have decided I don't really want to do that anyhow.

I'd like to cut them back so they'll get a little bushier, but don't know how much to take off...or when to do it. Should I wait till the end of the growing season before I bring them in for the winter? The flowers are insignificant, so I'm not concerned about that.

Tia! -- Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

I would think, being pelargoniums, that you could prune away quite a lot , be quite heavy handed. This works with my pels.I prune hard each autumn and reduce watering throughout the winter,but it could be done anytime of the year really. Some plants react badly to pruning but in general if you want something to grow prune it hard!

(This doent work too well with my Pelargonium dichondraefolium, which is a slower growing lavender scented plant, but most scenteds are quite vigorous growers and would take it I'd imagine)

Plus you'll have plenty of cuttings as backups!

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
Help...my geranium looks pitiful!
Can somebody tell me what I need to do to revive my...
plant_lover_grow
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
Geranium cutting- how long before they flower?
Hiyas, I took some geranium cuttings (zonal) about...
Novice.123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™