Extra Leggy Pelargonium - can I air layer?

aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)July 4, 2012

One day I looked at my Pelargonium and two of the main branches were dying back, and the healthy one was long, long. I wasn't sure what to do besides cut the dying ones back to healthy stem (they have never grown) and I was busy with other-life stuff and the healthy stem got longer and longer and longer (and longer).

Sunday I took a cutting from the tip and hopefully it will root - but I was wondering about trying air layering with the remaining plant. I've seen a couple "how to do it" webpages but there were no comments about the success rate.

Should I try it or should I wait for new growth and get more cuttings?

This particular plant has meaning to me so I'd like to save it (or its offspring).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

You could cut the long stem off and cut it into sections. As long as each section has a pair of leaves you can root each piece, just as is it were a tip cutting.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 4:06PM
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

Thank you for the response and sorry I didn't see it earlier!

The first cutting is doing well, I think - I did cut one of the leaves in half because I think (with my very limited and new knowledge) that it was too much for the plant to support.

Just to clarify:

So I can take the remaining stem and just cut above each leaf node as far down as I have leaves and plant each piece? Doing that I could get three more cuttings from the stem.
Do I need to wait for the next piece in line to callous over before cutting it off or can I just chop, chop, chop all the pieces at once?

unanswerable question: Where will I put all these cuttings? I'm running out of room because I have dived right into houseplants - plus this year I decided to attempt some cuttings from some of my outside plants and they're in the house as well. I need plant shelves, lol.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:54AM
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

I have taken two cuttings off my pelargonium. The first is well rooted (ha, I typed 'rotted' at first) and growing new leaves. The second is freshly 'planted' so hasn't had time to grow yet.

After I took the first cutting, the mother plant grew a bunch of new leaves, including one further down the stem than had previously had leaves. You can see where I took the second cutting in relation to the leaf.

My question is - since these plants can grow from cuttings, can I repot the mother plant and bury some of the stem to help make it less leggy? Will the stem that is buried take root? I plan to repot the mother plant into the 5-1-1 mix (unless it's thought the gritty mix would be better for the plant).

Will that cause an issue with rot because it has two (3?) cut-off stems low on the plant?

Or - will cutting it back again potentially cause it to start growing new leaves further down the left-over stem, like it did after the first cutting?

Thank you!!!

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 8:30AM
More Discussions
Starting from seed.Scarlet Pelargonium x Hortum
I will be starting Geranium inspire Scarlet Pelargonium...
ontheteam
want to trade pelagornium seeds/cuttings
Would like to trade seeds (horea and Otidia and various...
asclepchris
Overwintering a long deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
pruning geraniums
I have several geraniums that went without water for...
rad1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™