Geraniums looking unhealthy

mtcowgirlJuly 27, 2006

The past two summers, my potted geraniums have not done well. I purchase large, healthy plants with nice blooms in the spring, and they do well until July. Just like last year, they are now producing just a few small blooms and the leaves are yellowing. The pots they are in are large and drain well. I've tried fertilizing, watering more, watering less, etc. The plants are all in bright sun. It's been extremely hot the past few weeks, but geraniums belonging to neighbors still look great. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosarama

I recently had the same experience with three beautiful geraniums. While I waited helplessly, one (red) died. I sprayed this week with milk (of all things) and the remaining two are recovering. If that does not work, try an appropriate fungicide. Of course, you should first check the soil to see that the plant is not loose.
Good luck!.

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 10:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caroldiane(5)

Be patient, your geraniums are just taking a breather.
Plants which produce blooms constantly, can get tired...lots of energy is expended.
Just water normally, don't overfeed, give them lots of sunlight. The blooms will come back as good as before.

Bookmark   August 29, 2006 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
What's happening
Look at these leaves...ack. Please help!
imcanadian
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
pruning geraniums
I have several geraniums that went without water for...
rad1
Seed Geranium or Cutting for baskets
After growing several vegetables from seed I'm going...
obrionusa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™