Please help with deadheading geraniums?

gardenbug(8b)July 30, 2013

I believe I have zonal geraniums. They have a darker red ring around the leaf and the leaf edges are ruffled. Anyway, about the deadheading...

My geranium flower is spent. However, there are nice red buds just below the top spent flower. I was reading that to deadhead you should remove the entire stem. If I do that, I'll be removing the new flowers just below the old ones. Please help me? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Zonal geraniums bloom in a cluster of individual flowers held at the top of a bloom stem. Sometimes the flowers in a single open a bit sporadically so it is very possible to have some spent flowers in amongst others that still look good or are even not yet fully open (buds).

It is your choice as to whether you leave that flowerhead in place so that ALL flowers open or deadhead it after some/most of the flowers have gone over but some buds may still remain. Since zonals are so prolific in their flowering in summer, I remove any flowerheads that are even starting to look ratty. And yes, you remove the complete flower stem from where it emerges.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 3:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florauk(8/9)

The flower stem will snap off crisply if you hold it near the base and bend it back. Don't cut it off because that will leave a stub.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
Starting from seed.Scarlet Pelargonium x Hortum
I will be starting Geranium inspire Scarlet Pelargonium...
ontheteam
How to Improve Geranium Bloom Fullness?
Last year was my first year growing geraniums from...
kdog2568
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
Best way to care for this geranium?
Hi All, I have this geranium my girlfriend got somewhere...
sergtheuke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™