ger. that tolerate part sun and shade Ideas???

tricia257(5)July 6, 2010

I am looking to put in a row of hardy geraniums in front of some boxwood. One end of this row gets a good bit of sun and the other gets only morning sun. The line is around 9' long. Any suggestion for a hardy geranium that would tolerate the differing light and still look OK. If not, any ideas of how to break up the space and put in 2 or three diferent types that would look good together (not too different in heights for example). I'm leaning towards the light pinks color-wise. Thanks in advance for all help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Can you give us a bit more detail about the height you desire, the type of soil you have and what part of the country you live in. Some of the cinereums such as 'Lawrence Flatman' or 'Ballerina' are light pink but they are small plants more suited for a rockery. Several of the oxonianums like 'Claridge Druce' are a brighter, deeper pink, but they are taller, with a more open structure, and need a moderately moist soil. The boxwood hedge will suck a lot of moisture out of the soil so anything you plant next to it will have to be extra drought tolerant and tough. I have perennial candytuft (Iberis sempervirens) next to mine and it does quite well, The iberis can be pruned back after flowering in the spring to make it more tidy and dense. It is white of course and not pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iberis 'Snowflake'

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 8:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tricia257(5)

I need something around 12" high as right now I grow impatiens there and they are really too short to show. At one end of this spot I have purple huchera and the other end I have fire and ice hosta. One of the problems with the spot is that one end gets more sunlight than the other. Because this is a long spot I was interest in the Windscombe because it has both light and darker pink at the same time (color changes as flowers fade)or jolly bee. I don't want anything too dark as it might not show up. I don't mind sprawly geraniums. I grow rozanne and find it easy to keep in check with a few snips. Any thoughts? Thanks

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
Hardy Geraniums older thread.....
any additions of your favorites to this older thread: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1632443/hardy-geraniums-revisited...
Patty57
Best way to care for this geranium?
Hi All, I have this geranium my girlfriend got somewhere...
sergtheuke
Geranium leaf turning yellow - picture attached
Hi, I have got 2 trailing geraniums. One is fine but...
Chellam
How to Improve Geranium Bloom Fullness?
Last year was my first year growing geraniums from...
kdog2568
Overwintering a long deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™