Can I force my Jasmine to flower?

brent_2006July 22, 2006

I have nine beautiful jasmine that I am training up a wall. They have been there for approximately a year. Shortly after I first planted them they bloomed incredibly. Now they are growing great but just have had no blooms on them. Is there a way to encourage them to bloom? I live in San Diego and everything else in may yard is in full bloom.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, Brent

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rixblonde

Brent, i'm in the same boat,I have a pink jasmine that just keeps on growing and growing but no blooms not evan one bud I don't get it. And whats even more frustrating is when I went to the nursery the other day I saw my "pink jasmine" exact same freakin plant completely loaded to the max with buds! I'm was so pissed off. Now all what I want to do is throw it away and buy one of those good ones with all the buds on it .(LOL)

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 1:47PM
jimshy

Pink jasmine, aka jasminum polyanthum, comes from a colder climate than most jasmines, and needs a significant cold winter rest, with night temps in the low 50s at the highest, and less water, in order to set buds to bloom in the spring.

If you can duplicate these conditions for a minimum 8 weeks, you might get buds -- I'm pretty sure that's how commercial growers get theirs to bloom out of season. Otherwise, ya gotta wait until fall, back off on the watering and fertilizing, and let nature do the rest!

Brent, are yours pink jasmines or something else? If you've been fertilizing a lot to get flowers, stop! Jasmines don't need too much fertilizer, and lots of nitrogen makes them grow a lot but not produce flowers. It may be they're still getting used to their new situation, but give us more details and maybe folks can give more suggestions.

Jim

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 11:27AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

J. polyanthum naturally blooms in late winter to early spring.

Growers can manipulate many bloom cycles on many different plants. They use heat, lights, coolers and growth regulators.

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™