identifying pink cranesbill

jj_upstatenyJuly 19, 2009

I'm trying to identify the cranesbill I have in my back bed. It is a purple-ish pink one, medium-bright flowers. I've placed several photos on flickr (link below).

My reason is I want to split it and transplant... the current area is part sun/part shade, and I can put it in a sunnier area or a shadier area... don't know which!

Thanks all!

Photos are on flickr:

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of my cranesbill on flickr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

I'm almost certain this is a form of Geranium à oxonianum... there are so many varieties.

As for light, I would lean toward more sun, although it looks like it's doing well where it is!

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 7:40AM
jj_upstateny

Thanks! I don't care about getting the variety exactly right -- it is fun to know the full name but mostly I want to know how much light it gets.

Mine isn't as neat and tidy as some -- it seems to be going all over -- but it is definitely healthy, so I can't complain. :)

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 9:17PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I agree with coolplantsguy that it is most likely a form of oxonianum. I believe the easiest to find on the market and most popular one right now is called 'Claridge Druce'. There are so many cultivars being sold, with the only difference being in the colour of the flowers. Many have very slight differences in the shade of pink and are difficult to tell apart. 'Claridge Druce' hails from the UK and has been around for a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium 'Claridge Druce'

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 8:08AM
jj_upstateny

Thanks! I do agree that it is like Claridge Druce -- so if not that cultivar, then awfully similar.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
want to trade pelagornium seeds/cuttings
Would like to trade seeds (horea and Otidia and various...
asclepchris
Best way to care for this geranium?
Hi All, I have this geranium my girlfriend got somewhere...
sergtheuke
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
What is the name of this flower?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the...
Shaz79
How to Improve Geranium Bloom Fullness?
Last year was my first year growing geraniums from...
kdog2568
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™