Blue hostas

NJG55(7B)March 22, 2011

I've had good luck growing hostas for years in locations that range from nearly complete shade (under the eaves of the house and under the deck) to mostly sunny. I don't remember the names of the varieties I planted, but I'm thinking about trying some new ones, specifically some blue varieties. I gather that they need more shade than other colors. Are there any blues that are likely to do well in metro Atlanta, and what are the best light conditions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicki7(z7 N.Ga.)

The only 'blue' one I have is Krossa Regal. I have it in a huge pot on my back porch and it stays a beautiful blue every year UNLESS I let it get too much sun. Just a little too much sun (I try not to let it get any direct sun) and it turns green and stays that way for the rest of the season. I've heard that there are much better and improved varieties than the one I have so maybe someone else will chime in.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 8:37AM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I had many blue hostas at one time. They received some light during the day and some shade. I found the blue were most intolerant to lack of moisture and poor drainage.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 1:12PM
natalie4b(7b GA)

In my experience, blue hostas are more tolerable to sun. There are Big Daddy and Halcyon in my garden, and they stay strong where green ones are pouting.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 9:56AM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

they are very intolerant to about 4" of gravel. I think I forgot to mention that....they do not like to be stepped on repeatedly, or have 4" of gravel on their heads. Nope, they don't....

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
Houston triumph tulips
Hi. In georgia, what month do Houston Triumph Tulips...
tulipwedding
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™