Greenviolet

razorback33(z7)March 2, 2009

Hybanthus concolor. Anyone growing this member of the Violet Family?

Have an opportunity to obtain some of these, but after determining that is was indeed a violet, became a little apprehensive, since I have a multitude of Violets all over the garden and can't seem to make any headway in removing them. Then I remembered the Birdfoot Violet, a quiet little member of the Family, that makes an attractive addition to any native garden collection.

But is this one as composed and non-aggressive?

The plant - This is a Violet?

The flower - Interesting....

What's your opinion?

It is a Georgia native.

Rb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicki7(z7 N.Ga.)

Green flowers just have never been my 'cup of tea', but as you say, it does look interesting. I fight the invasive wild violets every year in my yard too. Maybe you could try some in an area kinda separated from everything else in case they do get a little too enthusiastic about multiplying. That way it would be easier to get rid of them without disturbing other plants.
By the way, I appreciate you, ESH, and some of the others who post on here frequently. I've learned a lot from you guys!
Vicki

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I have no experience (or familiarity) with this one, Rb. It certainly is a modest looking plant. I googled around but didn't see any comments about it being aggressive/weedy. However, that may just be due to the fact that people don't invite into their garden.

I do love the Bird's Foot Violet - such pretty foliage and such a bold flower. I have had some trouble keeping it around, despite it's love of plain of clay soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird's Foot violet gallery page

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 7:50AM
More Discussions
how to kill wisteria
anybody have a cheap way to get rid of wisteria or...
Shane86
How to prune a too tall crape myrtle?
I recently bought an old house with a potentially great...
jenarnow
Antsy to start my garden in 7a!
Hi y'all.... Is anyone else itching to get things in...
Callie
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™