Greenviolet

razorback33(z7)March 2, 2009

Hybanthus concolor. Anyone growing this member of the Violet Family?

Have an opportunity to obtain some of these, but after determining that is was indeed a violet, became a little apprehensive, since I have a multitude of Violets all over the garden and can't seem to make any headway in removing them. Then I remembered the Birdfoot Violet, a quiet little member of the Family, that makes an attractive addition to any native garden collection.

But is this one as composed and non-aggressive?

The plant - This is a Violet?

The flower - Interesting....

What's your opinion?

It is a Georgia native.

Rb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vicki7(z7 N.Ga.)

Green flowers just have never been my 'cup of tea', but as you say, it does look interesting. I fight the invasive wild violets every year in my yard too. Maybe you could try some in an area kinda separated from everything else in case they do get a little too enthusiastic about multiplying. That way it would be easier to get rid of them without disturbing other plants.
By the way, I appreciate you, ESH, and some of the others who post on here frequently. I've learned a lot from you guys!
Vicki

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 3:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I have no experience (or familiarity) with this one, Rb. It certainly is a modest looking plant. I googled around but didn't see any comments about it being aggressive/weedy. However, that may just be due to the fact that people don't invite into their garden.

I do love the Bird's Foot Violet - such pretty foliage and such a bold flower. I have had some trouble keeping it around, despite it's love of plain of clay soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird's Foot violet gallery page

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 7:50AM
More Discussions
Howdy Folks!
Any of the old regulars still around? I have been...
vroomp
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
Georgia (Piedmont region) - new NABA chapter
To all butterfly enthusiasts in Georgia: The North...
memays
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™