What's wrong with these geraniums?

westmanor(usda9)August 17, 2004

Last year I planted a few different kinds of geraniums. Some in the ground , some in pots. They all did great until a couple of weeks ago. regardless of the location and the soil condition their leaves started to curl upwards almost like shrinking.With or without watering didn't make a difference. They eventually stopped flowering. I pulled out the curled leaves but even the new ones came out curled and stayed very small.I can't see any insects or mites on them.

I used to think geraniums were easy to grow but now I'm puzzled. Does anyone have any ideas?

image in gallery forum

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/geranium/hpgal0821094632710.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westmanor(usda9)

corrected link

Here is a link that might be useful: picture

Bookmark   August 17, 2004 at 9:30PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Leaves curling as yours could possibly be a virus - "Symptoms of these types of diseases are nonspecific and can look like symptoms caused by many other disease agents. General symptoms include stunting, yellowing, curling or twisting of leaves and stems, distorted leaves and fruit, mosaics, mottles, and ring spots."

But I would suspect nutritional deficiency caused by too high a ph. Since both containerized and bedded plants are affected, do you by any chance know the PH of your water? I don't have to worry about acidity here...we're acid - soil, water, plenty of natural irrigation in mildly acidic rain. But I believe the highest PH for optimum geranium growth is 6 - 6.3.

Bookmark   August 19, 2004 at 2:26AM
Braveland4H

The plant on the right might benefit from being cut back. New shoots should grow out from the base if you cut it back to three or four inches.

Bookmark   August 26, 2004 at 11:38PM
trancegemini_wa(10b)

hi, to me it looks like heat stress and some of the leaves also looked scorched? if it is heat stress they will recover once the weather cools down and the leaves will plump up again, but if your summers are quite hot they will do better in a spot where they will get some shade during the day, especially by late afternoon.

Bookmark   September 3, 2004 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
seeds from china fake or real?
I have been growing geranium from seeds for some time...
gonene1
Help...my geranium looks pitiful!
Can somebody tell me what I need to do to revive my...
plant_lover_grow
Overwintering a long deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Seed Geranium or Cutting for baskets
After growing several vegetables from seed I'm going...
obrionusa
What is the name of this flower?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the...
Shaz79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™