odd geranium

trailer_gal(z4 ND)September 18, 2009

Wondering if anyone on the geranium forum has ever seen this happen to a plant or if it is a rarity.

The plant was two different colors last summer, too.

I have looked at the roots and stem below ground and to me it looks like it is definitely one plant. Is that possible?

Thanks for any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trailer_gal(z4 ND)

forgot to add picture

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 12:21AM
oilpainter(3)

That looks very much to me like 2 plants. The pink one has variagated leaves and the hot pink one doesn't. The roots are probably so wound together that it just looks like one plant. If you want to tease them apart then shake the dirt off the roots, spray the roots with the hose and gently tease apart

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 8:13AM
trailer_gal(z4 ND)

Oilpainter
The mystery is solved. I had looked last year and thought this seemed like one plant, but now I rinsed the roots and lower stem and looked more carefully. The two plants seem to have grafted themselves together. I probably put them in the same pot when I was bringing them in for the winter of 2007 and two branches must have broken off and so were stuck in the pot together. On the closeup picture you can see a graft line right above the red petal running kind of diagnol. It shows in the other picture, too. Does that seem like an unusual thing to happen? Thanks for answering my post and for suggesting the rinse.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 3:07PM
mlrosbach(z6 WA)

The varigated leaf plant is probably Happy Thought, a butterfly leaf zonal. This one is the pink variety. There is also a red variety.

Bookmark   November 3, 2009 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
My Geraniums Stopped Blooming, Can I get some help please?
My 10 year old geranium plants haven't bloomed since...
melissaoc1
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
Hardy Geraniums older thread.....
any additions of your favorites to this older thread: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1632443/hardy-geraniums-revisited...
oldtimegal57
Overwintering geraniums.
Hi folks I would like some advice. I have a raised...
averil
Geranium leaf turning yellow - picture attached
Hi, I have got 2 trailing geraniums. One is fine but...
Chellam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™