Over wintering the Stellars

abykatSeptember 25, 2013

Can anyone tell me if you can over winter the stellar gerainiums same as the regular zonals? I have had success putting my Zonal's in my unheated garage, just bare rooted for the winter and replanting in spring. I have a little stellar that was a gift to me and really want to save it for next year. I am on zone 7a thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Patty zone 5

I have not tried this with the stellars, but I suspect that they would be the same as the zonals as the stem and foliage are so similar. If you want to be sure, perhaps you should start a small cutting to keep indoors and then try the rest of the plant in the garage once you know that the cutting has rooted.

I keep my most favourite zonals and fancy leaf geraniums inside the house for the winter and then put some of the other more replaceable ones in the garage. Here is a pot of small cuttings I took at the end of August to bring inside for a security measure. This is the first time I put them in one pot so that will be interesting.

This post was edited by patty_3411 on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 17:46

Bookmark   September 26, 2013 at 5:17PM
abykat

Thanks. This is my plan of action. Appreciate the help. I love my Stellars and hardly ever see them around so I want to keep it going. I have 3 pink zonal cuttingings going right now.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:35PM
Patty zone 5

Can you post pictures? I love seeing other's pictures :D

Patty

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
Starting from seed.Scarlet Pelargonium x Hortum
I will be starting Geranium inspire Scarlet Pelargonium...
ontheteam
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™