plant suggestions anyone?

bagsmom(7)April 27, 2009

Hi gang! I spent the day in the yard yesterday -- it was just gorgeous out there! I worked in the big bed in our front yard. It runs along an old stone wall dividing our property from our neighbors. One edge of the bed (the wall side) is straight -- the other has lots of curves. I would say the light is bright shade, with more morning sun up near the front, which is to the East. I was noticing that it is looking messy, despite my efforts. I need to group plants together better -- AND realized almost everything is the same height. I have clusters of dutch iris, some stella d'oros, some oriental lilies, a nice cluster of purple balloon flower, anemones, some rudibekia that does great despite not being in full sun. THere's a birdbath in there, also 2 redbuds. It doesn't sound like everything would be the same height, but visually, it reads as everything being mid-thigh height. Do I need something TALL? What would it be? I'd even be willing to treat a tropical as an annual if it would give some punch. Maybe a banana tree? If I get my act together, I'll try to post a picture. Thanks!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bagsmom(7)

I have some pictures on my desktop. Anyone know a quick and simple way to tell me how to add them to a post? (Green thumb, but technically challenged.)
Thanks

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 8:15AM
esh_ga

You can't add pictures to a post in this forum (it doesn't support attachments). All you can do is post them to a photohosting website (like photobucket.com, it's free) and then post the links to your pictures (in photobucket, use the HTML code link that is listed below each picture).

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 8:50AM
ilikemud_2007

Sounds like much of what you have in this area are perennials, what about if you add some shrubs? Hydrangea, Azaleas or even loropedelum would be nice. I can't really imagine a banana tree or cannas in with the other plants you mentioned.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:02AM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I have one area like that - it also sounds like all the foliage is green and it's almost all got lance shaped leaves. You need a mix of round leaves and some colorful foliage!
How about some lambs ears, maybe some pink yarrow with the finely frilled leaves - I love to use things like golden oregano or gold thyme for a groundcover to add a shot of lemon-lime groundcover too there is a golden "crinkle" leaf oregano with rounded leaves.

GGG

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™