Hello from the (usually) rainy Lake District!

davidincumbriaJanuary 28, 2008

I am a new convert to the wonderful world of Gesneriads, having previously had an obsession with (semi) hardy exotics. However, I have now moved from one of he dryest parts of the UK to one of the wettest, which means that a rethink is necessary as a number of my palms and bananas are responding to the wet, cool winters by throwing in the towel!

I have always been one for a new gardening challenge (when my wife first met me I was attempting to grow giant amazon waterlilies in a paddling pool in my sunlounge - the marriage has survived but the paddling pool hasn't)and now I have discovered alpine gesneriads I have a sinking feeling that a whole new obsession is coming on!

So far I have managed to obtain the Ramonda species, which are still recovering from my move to Cumbria but are still hanging in there - so far. I've also got a Haberlea Rhodopensis, which seems to be growing rather than dying, plus a Conandron and a couple of tiny Jankaeas which appear to be in climatic shock but haven't actually dies yet, despite the fact that in Cumbria it is either raining or threatening to!

Alpine gesneriads aren't easy to obtain in the UK, top of my wish-list would be Corallodiscus, with Tremacron and Petrocosmea not far behind. If anyone knows any seed sources for any of the above I'd be most grateful!

I'll let you know how my alpine gessies get on and shall look forward to hopefully a long,happy association with this forum!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

David -

Please consider joining Gesneriphiles mailing list. Check the archives, post your question. It is a very interesting international community of growers, and some of them are actually successful in growing alpine gesneriads outside.

Regards

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Gesneriphiles mailing list

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 4:43PM
alenka(6)

I had to look up all the gessies you mention in your post. Awesome. And I demand pictures.

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 12:45PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Alenka -

the plants David wants to grow outside - are alpine gesneriads - the ones that grow in Europe and Japan - and require a special climate - with mild winters and mild summers with just enough precipitation. There is not very many places in United States where they can successfully be grown - either summer is too hot, or winter too cold or too wet. David has an advantage of having the right climate.

Kind of hard to change the climate.

Irina

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
When to repot a strep to a large pot?
This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly...
judyj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™