Coreopsis? From Lori's swap last year - ID please

tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)April 23, 2012

These pictures don't really show the lower leaves but I saw an identical plant at the swap last Saturday. Is this a coreopsis and if so which one? I planted it last spring so this is the first year it has bloomed.

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
castorp

It looks just like my Coreopsis grandiflora. It reseeds like crazy.

Bill

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:14AM
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

I have that same coreopsis and if you got your plant from Lori's swap last year there's a good chance you got it from me. I also gave some away at Silvia's swap this year. Don't know what type of coreopsis it is but it's one of the toughest I've ever seen and is a favorite of mine. It will spread by seed and is drought tolerant. I thin mine each year and share it with friends and family. There are still a few plants in my lawn where it seeded from last year that I have to move to new spots in my garden.

Kara

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 8:15AM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Thanks Bill, it's definitely hardy and I've seen the small green native bees working it so far ;-)

Kara, I'm glad you responded because I thought it came from you last year at Lori's swap, I just needed confirmation. The only thing that's throwing me off about Bill's link to C.grandiflora is the description that it blooms from June to September, since this one has been blooming for about a week now.

Thought's and experiences anyone?

Tom

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 7:01PM
katkin_gw

I have a coreopsis that is similar but the flowers appear to be double. It blooms all year for me as long as the weather is warm enough. With the warm winter we've had maybe yours is starting early. :o)

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 6:13AM
castorp

The bit about it blooming from June to September is (like so much gardening info out there) for states further north. Here C. grandiflora starts blooming in April (or even earlier). If you keep them deadheaded they may keep blooming to September. Most of mine stop flowering in the Jungle weather of August, but I'm growing them in a meadow.

Bill

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 9:25AM
katkin_gw

Yes, very true, Bill. :o)

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 9:54AM
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

Mine have already started to bloom as well although it is a bit early thanks the the mild winter we had. I think that is blooms most of the summer but I'm not sure about that. About a month ago I planted one that I'd had growing in a 4" pot since last summer and the plant is already tripled in diameter and is now about 2 feet tall including the blooms. It's such a bright and cheery spot of color in the garden!

Kara

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
Mango and Lychee Blooms "fried" by the recent Freeze
Just wanted to vent a little to my fellow mango and...
puglvr1
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™