Champaca Seeds...are these the real thing!!! PICS!

frank69mJuly 12, 2006

My champaca tree has been flowering like crazy lately. I've noticed these on the tree:

Could they be seeds? If so, how is the best way to plant and preserve them? Do they look ready for the picking?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trini1trini

I think it has to get bigger than that and the pod eventually pops open and exposes the seeds.

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 9:24PM
frank69m

so I should wait? when should I plant them? and when can I tell it will be ready for me to cut? Are there a number of seeds in there?

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 8:15AM
barbara_in_la(So. Cal.)

I was going to post photos of my mom's Michelia alba tree and ask the same thing... having seen your photos, I'd have to say that my mom's alba tree as well as yours do have seed pods on it. There are lots of pods on her tree in varying stages of growth. The pods will eventually ripen (turn red, at least on her tree) with the pods popping open and exposing the seeds. I found three seeds -- two still attached to the pod and one on the ground -- which I plan to pot up today. From what I've read online, the alba produce mostly sterile seeds, but I'll plant them anyway to see if it will still grow.

Bookmark   August 13, 2006 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™