NOID Sinningia speciosa?

snappyguyJanuary 3, 2011

Just wanted to share some pics of my newest gesneriad. My wife and I picked this plant up for $1.40! My mother-on-law was with us when we got it and she believes it is a Gloxinia. I take this to mean florist's Gloxinia, now known as Sinningia speciosa. Can anyone tell from the pictures if this is correct? It wasn't marked at the nursery. A little about this plant. The blooms are roughly 3" in diameter, and the plant itself is about 16-18" across. The largest leaves are larger than my hand. Also, any pointers on growing this plant? I have other gesneriads including african violets, episcias, an Aeschynanthus, and a Gloxinella lindeniana. All grow well for me.

Thanks,

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Mark,

Nice looking sinningia speciosa!!! Yes, that's what it is.

Larry

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 2:38AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Mark - in my experience they need more light - like twice more than for example AVs. Otherwise they can become leggy.
It is a gorgeous plant - GOOD JOB! - but the problem is that the plants you buy already blooming - usually come with free thrips - and to get rid of them passengers - it takes more than $1.40

Enjoy the pics on the Logan Nursery site.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: eye candy

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 3:14PM
snappyguy

Thanks for the link Irina. I've checked the Sinningia for thrips and haven't seen any, or any spilled pollen fortunately. I've also kept in isolation so that no unwanted hitch hikers make it into my african violets.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 7:42AM
sortagreenthumb

My friend and I have this plant. Hers has bloomed for a few weeks now and she is wondering how she should go about ridding the plant of the dead flower heads once they have stopped blooming. I suggested waiting until the flowers and the stalks begin drying out so that they pull off really easily, instead of clipping or pinching them off. What would you all suggest?

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 10:36PM
snappyguy

Once they start to go by I use a pair of scissors and cut the spent blooms off, even if the stems are still green. Doesn't seem to adversely affect the plant at all.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 12:03PM
dirtmonkey(z8 OR)

You can also use those old flower stalks to make more plants :)

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
Anybody Specializing in Fragrant Streps?
I posted some time ago about fragrant streps and was...
treehugger101
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
How to create trade list?
How do I create trade list in Houzz? I have A violets,...
Debbie
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™