Polianthes tuberosa bloom size

cwcervantes(9A / New Orleans)July 6, 2014

Hello everyone!

How large does a tuberose need to get before it blooms? The photo (with beer bottle for size reference) shows my tuberose plant that I received last summer as a single bulb. I repotted early this spring once the weather warmed up and there were many more bulbs but all rather small. The leaves have been up for a few months now. Is this container large enough? It's in full sun. I haven't fertilized yet.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

That size pot is doable. Another member here posted one in a smaller pot than that and I was amazed. So last fall I placed an extra bulb clump in a 1.5 gallon (approx.) clay pot and its throwing up an inflo now. I would say yours probably has a month or two before it starts flowering.

With that said, the inflos on this one has less flower buds than the clumps in the larger pots. So it could do better in a bigger pot and give you more buds.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 12:43AM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Heres another pic of a tuberose I got from HD in 2012. I had thought back then it was impossible and these must have been transplanted from the ground at the nursery. This one is the Pearl for sure.

The one I have in a clay pot is either Single Mexican type or the Pearl. I have them mixed up.

Also wanted to mentioned, if you started from a single bublet then it is very unlikely to bloom. Your's looks like it is a clump of growths, so thats good.

This post was edited by musaboru on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 0:49

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 12:45AM
Andrew Scott

So glad I saw this post! From what I am reading, it sounds like I am going to need to repot mine. I planted two bulbs in one half gal pot. My foliage is maybe 7 in tall. I will plant both bulbs into a 5 gal pot. Thanks for the info...and the pictures!

I also have 'The Pearl'! I am so excited, as this is my first year growing these!! BTW...what variety of plumeria are in your pic? I thought maybe DSP?

Andrew

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:46AM
More Discussions
Clematis Sugar-Sweet Blue
Ugh. Another fragrant clematis to tempt me! Sugar-Sweet...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Sourcing Chinese/Japanese Wisteria
Hi All, I could use some guidance from you experienced...
josiahallen
Pruning Jasmium sambac
A couple of years ago, I got a cutting of a Jasminum...
true_blue
Lonicerasyringantha
This will be this deciduous honeysuckle shrub's 3rd...
hemnancy
What is finally being evicted this year?
Anyone finally lose patience or be so disappointed...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Sponsored Products
Tide Sands Printed Cotton Cushion Cover, Set of Two
$36.95 | Bellacor
Set of Four Dragonfly Sequin Napkin Rings
$84.00 | FRONTGATE
Watery Blooms Double-Walled Mason Jar Tumbler
$10.99 | zulily
Antica Farmacista Prosecco Diffuser
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
Crystorama Southport Mini Chandelier - 19W in. Antique White - 4815-AW
$350.00 | Hayneedle