Semi-hydro for streps?

seajJanuary 20, 2013

Does anyone think that streptocarpus will do well in semi- hydro? I use that method to grow my African violets and they enjoy it very much. I live in California so it gets very warm during the summer months, but I know that semi-hydro can help keep plants cool due to the constant evaporation.

Also, does anyone wick their streps?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Probably you won't know until you try.

i heard people wrap their strep pots with wet long stemmed sphagnum and put them into bigger clay pots in summer to cool the roots.

Generally streps do better with bottom watering than with wicking - they need to dry between waterings. A friend of mine grows great streps on wicks - but they are not on mats but on reservoirs - so more air coming to the roots and she also lets them dry a bit before refilling the reservoirs. They do good in Oyamas - again with letting them go dry. I am thinking the same approach can be used with s/h.

I.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 2:01PM
carol222

One of my students tried this (with hydroton) and the strep was dead in about a month. It was a very nice set-up, but the plant just hated it. It started out as a big healthy plant. It was Emily, if my memory serves me - the strep, not the student.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 6:33AM
seaj

Thank you for the input. Semi-hydro takes all the guesswork out of watering for me. Before, I damaged many plants with my inconsistent watering schedule. Now, I only want to grow plants if they can be grown in such a way. If I ever find any streps, I'll probably try it out. They're very beautiful plants.

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 9:54PM
Wild_Rose_of_VA

I know very little about hydro or semi-hydro growing, but if I were to suggest a variety that is the most resilient to experimenting with, it would be 'Nerys'. Strep 'Nerys' is the toughest and most forgiving strep I grow. It is an older Dibley variety and is often available on eBay.

Karen

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
When to repot a strep to a large pot?
This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly...
judyj
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
What have we here?
Grown from a forgotten seed batch: Some kind of Kohleria...
rusty_blackhaw
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™