Perennial Cranesbill - Overwintering

jweinerOctober 2, 2007

We just planted a bunch of these this past summer (about 3 months ago). The tag indicates these are Biokova Karmina (Geranium x cantabrigiense). This means nothing to me other than that they should come up next Spring. Do these need any special pruning as winter sets in?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

This plant is typically listed only to zone 5, so you might find it of marginal hardiness for you. Otherwise, the foliage takes on great fall colors. It is mostly evergreen in my climate, but will benefit from a shearing back of the old foliage in late winter. In your climate, I'd suggest shearing back after a couple of hard frosts, then mulching well.

Good luck.

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 8:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leo_prairie_view(2B Manitoba)

I have grown G. x cantabrigiense in Zone 2b for several years now and it is completely hardy. I don't trim it back in the fall but leave it as it is to catch the snow. In the spring I give it a cleanup but if I miss the new growth comes quickly and it always looks tidy. It is used extensively as a ground cover at the International Peace Garden on the Manitoba-North Dakota border.
Leo

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Where to find a Red 'Black Vesuvius' dwarf Geranium?
I am interested in obtaining a Red 'Black Vesuvius'...
partybra
Help...my geranium looks pitiful!
Can somebody tell me what I need to do to revive my...
plant_lover_grow
Hardy Geranium help..
I am new to gardening in z8b Texas. I had a question...
pinkkpearls
pruning geraniums
I have several geraniums that went without water for...
rad1
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™