seeds?

bloomorelse(Z4b NB Canada)October 13, 2004

I thought I might have seeds from my geranium, but I noticed in an earlier posting someone describing what they thought was seeds as a banana peel, and someone else responsed that that was not the seed. Can someone describe what the seed looks like? and how to grow. Any help appreciated.

Joan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susz52(5a Ont Ca)

I have only had success finding seeds on zonals. When the heads dry you will see spikes sticking out. At the base of the spikes is the seed. The success rate I've had is so/so but if you collect a lot you'll have some plants.

Bookmark   October 14, 2004 at 9:59PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

bloomorelse, here's some photos of geranium seeds and pods. You've got to be quick to harvest them and time it just right or the seed capsules have opened and you've lost your seed. I was making daily visits to g. nodosum this year trying to gather enough to sow...

(I've grown hardy geraniums from seed by sowing fresh seed on moist potting soil, covering with chick grit, and leaving the container outdoors here in this mild climate. Have not done the more tender types)

Here is a link that might be useful: seed pods and seed

Bookmark   October 17, 2004 at 11:11PM
cheerpeople

Oh thx suz and Mor,
I was just trying to collect these for someone for a swap! Hard to find little suckers!
Karen

Bookmark   October 21, 2004 at 6:55AM
More Discussions
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
Seed Geranium or Cutting for baskets
After growing several vegetables from seed I'm going...
obrionusa
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
Hardy Geraniums older thread.....
any additions of your favorites to this older thread: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1632443/hardy-geraniums-revisited...
Patty57
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™