Geranium (Perennial) Tapestry Mix

donnann(5 MA)October 14, 2008

I have had this in a huge pot because of root problems in the ground. What do I do with this for the winter? I love this plant and hope to have it again next year. Thanks, Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You have all 6 of these geraniums in a single pot? These need to be in the ground, or at the very least, each in an individual pot (5G size would be good). These are sufficiently hardy to your zone if in the ground but will need extra protection in a container. Typically I'd suggest sinking the container in the ground then mulching well over the top, but if you are unable to dig deep enough to plant 'em, that won't work :-) You could also store somewhere the temperature is more moderated - garage, covered/protected porch, unheated basement or cellar, etc.

But I'd certainly try to get them planted next spring. Have you considered berming or mounding the soil to avoid root problems when digging? Makes for very good drainage as well.

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnann(5 MA)

Thanks for your reply. The roots are like cheese cloth and strangle everything. No matter what I do they just come back. Donna

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Best way to care for this geranium?
Hi All, I have this geranium my girlfriend got somewhere...
sergtheuke
pruning geraniums
I have several geraniums that went without water for...
rad1
want to trade pelagornium seeds/cuttings
Would like to trade seeds (horea and Otidia and various...
asclepchris
My Geraniums Stopped Blooming, Can I get some help please?
My 10 year old geranium plants haven't bloomed since...
melissaoc1
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™