achimenes

greylady_gardenerJanuary 30, 2008

Hello all, I am visiting this forum for the first time. I am normally on several others here on GW but I have been searching for a Canadian source for achimenes, and I was hoping that someone here would be able to direct me to one.....please :)

Any of the sites that I have found so far are in the US and UK and don't ship to foreign countries. I find it hard to believe that it is not available in Canada, so surely there has to be a source.

TIA

gg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

I'm looking for USA sources. Email me if you know where I can get corms here in the states. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 9:08PM
greylady_gardener

Parks seeds has them: also known as 'cupid's bower'. The link to the page they are on is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ahimenes page

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 9:34PM
maureen_ottawa(z4)

Hi GG

Unfortunately, it seems that all the Canadian sources of gesneriads in general is drying up. Where are you located? I got a couple of achimenes rhizomes from Bill Price in Vancouver. I've seen some no-names available at the spring sales of my hort society. They don't seem to be widely grown or distributed anymore.

If you're still looking for rhizomes in the fall, I should be harvesting rhizomes from Purple King then.

BTW the American Gesneriad Society convention is going to be held in Vancouver in 2010. It would be a great place to pick up plants. There's a sales room and an auction. But bring lots of money for the auction...

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 10:45AM
greylady_gardener

Maureen, I sent you an e-mail through GW. If you don't get it let me know--my e-mail is on my page.
gg

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 6:56PM
milwdave(Zone5 Milwaukee)

Brent and Becky's Bulbs have a limited selection.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 8:15AM
tmelrose

I've found achimenes tubers on ebay. Looks like the primary seller is Willowcreekgardens. You can either buy through ebay or their website, willowcreekgardens.com
They appear to be a good reliable source as their feedback is perfect. I'm currently bidding on some of theirs. Hopefully I'll win some.

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 11:27AM
greylady_gardener

Thanks milwdave and tmelrose, but I have checked them out and they don't ship to Canada. I guess if I lived in the States I could get them easily enough but for some reason they are extremely hard to come by in Canada! :)
gg

Bookmark   April 10, 2008 at 9:10PM
tmelrose

Well that stinks. If I ever win an auction of them I'll save you one and get your address to send you one.

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 9:47PM
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

I have achimenes, and can send you some for the price of postage and handling, roughly US$2.50. Is it too late in the season for you?

If you write to me directly, please put the word 'achimenes' in the subject line and allow several days for me to reply...

Thanks,

--Rick

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
How fast will a lipstick plant grow? ((Aeschynanthus radicans)
I got one in a 6 inch hanging basket on clearance at...
tlbean2004
When to repot a strep to a large pot?
This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly...
judyj
On growing streps larger...?
Today I was wondering if the same effect of disbudding...
judyj
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™