Cestrum Nocturnum attracts snakes???

ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)August 30, 2009

I have a Cestrum Nocturnum (night blooming jasmine) in my front yard. My neighbor's mother who is from India told me to remove the plant as she said that in her home town, people do not plant it because it is notorious in attracting snakes. She said that the scent of this jasmine is like some kind of pheromone that snakes find attractive.

And she said that she had personally seen Cobras in Cestrum Nocturnum bushes. She said that since I have very young kids, that this would be a highly unsafe plant to have in my yard where the kids play all the time.

Three issues facing me:

1. I HATE snakes and would not be within a mile of them. I am scared to death of them.

2. I have toddlers. I do not want to put my kids at risk.

3. This bush is blooming like there is no tomorrow. And I was so happy with it in my "fragrants garden" until now.

I need to decide if I should keep it or get rid of it. Has anyone heard of snakes taking up quarters in a Cestrum Nocturnum bush here in the USA. Can anyone please, please advise me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

i expect this is "old wives tale" talk. if anything, the snakes are attracted to other things that are attracted to the plant. i.e. insects, lizards, frogs, birds, etc.
it is described as the food chain.
we don't have cobras in this country but you are almost certainly within a mile of local snakes. they move about, unnoticed by and harmless to people most of the time, and keep our home and garden pest population in check.
i think you should just enjoy your fragrant plant and not be concerned by this advice.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 11:56AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I agree 100% with Jeff.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 1:29PM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

Thanks jeff and buyorsell. You guys are making me feel better already!

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 7:14PM
jimshy

Hmmm, this sounds like some misplaced reasoning: people like cestrum nocturnum, people plant it near their homes and hang out next to it; snakes (which are much more common in India than in SouthBay!) are living nearby anyway, and are seen near the plants, so -- cestrum nocturnum must attract snakes!

I doubt you will ever see a live snake outside of a pet store in your neighborhood, but local folks should say otherwise if I'm mistaken. Enjoy your plant!

Jim

Bookmark   September 2, 2009 at 9:30AM
imran_jhamid_hotmail_com

does this have any relevance? :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 9:17AM
leahrenee1(z9FL)

I think you should be safe, a quick search shows that rattlesnakes which are the only venemous snake in your area rarely climb shrubs and trees.

the above pic is a black racer that I know lives in FL and they will climb all sorts of things but they are like an overgrown garter snake.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
Petunia 'Cottage Queen'
Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia? I noticed it...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Blooming in February! We are late!!!
It is almost spring, why hasn't a thread on Blooming...
rubyjchang
Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke supreme
I have found Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke Supreme plants...
bunti
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™