Streps in Hawaii

maui_jen(11)February 17, 2013

I successfully cared for Streps when I lived in Montana; now I am on Maui and recently ordered six babies from Dennis @ Neil's Streps on ebay. So far they are doing fine in our slightly cooler "winter' temps, but I am concerned how they will deal with 85+ degrees in the summer. They live outside under a semi-filtered sunshade and are quite happy with their readjustment to a new climate; one has even begun to flower though the blooms look stunted and a little deformed.

I am researching different watering techniques (I usually water from the top just when they show signs of wilting) and will probably try out wick-watering or plastic Oyama pots, as sometimes I am away for a few days.

Does anyone have thoughts of the best care for them when the the temperature goes up? I'm not sure but I think humidity is probably around 70-80%.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

Wow, you made it to tropical heaven from the frozen tundra! Enjoy the environment, it was 19 degrees F this morning in Wilmington Delaware!

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 11:39AM
davioletman

I have grown streps here in CT in a greenhouse where temps reached 95-105 during the summer months with success. The humidity was 70-80%. The key to growing them is not to let them dry too much and there is air movement.

My greenhouse was in direct sun so I shaded it with a tarp year round. If you continue to grow them in semi filtered sunlight they should be fine as long as they do not receive too much sun during the hottest part of the day. I always top water my streps.

Dave

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 10:30PM
maui_jen(11)

@gerris2 - That is exactly why I relocated!

@davioletman - Thank you for your input! I will go forward with great faith they will thrive. I'm planning to build a new larger plant shelf (they are growing quickly) backed with sun shade material to protect from the strong sun from the west. I have always top watered also, but will try a few with wicks to see how they do if I'm away for too many days at a time. Humidity should be around what you have, and plenty of air flow. Mahalo!

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:40AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Lucky Maui_Jen -

I read the recommendation to "double-pot" streps - get the bigger clay pot - and put the strep pot in this clay pot with empty space between the pots filled with some kind of absorbent material - like sphagnum moss- and keep this absorbent material wet- the evaporation through the clay pot pores will keep the inner pot cooler and streptocarpus plant - happier.

I.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 3:48PM
maui_jen(11)

Thank you Irina! I ordered a few of the Oyama pots the other day, so I can experiment with several different methods. I appreciate your information! Brilliant! I'm adding it to my notebook.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 12:29AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Yes- I had major trouble growing Columnea citrina - probably the same issue - needs it cooler and more humid - and I was advised to wrap a root ball in a sphagnum moss - and pot it like this - and it sure grows better.

I.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™