Lobbianus Variegated - anyone grow this one?

ks_girlFebruary 23, 2009

Hi, I just came across this forum and have been looking through some post but havn't seen this lipstick yet so does anyone grow this one and know what color the flowers are.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Hi Kansas Girl -

I have it. It blooms the same way as A. lobbianus - red with maroon or brownish calyx.

If you hang it at the east window with good light - it will bloom its head off. You will have trouble removing the spent flowers. Without good light - it is just a nice foliage plant.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Place to look... always

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 2:13PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hi KSgirl,

Your plant is really pretty and healthy! I use to have(I just recently lost it...accidentally left it outside), temps in FL went in the 20's)...not normal for us. I had the one that was labeled Mona Lisa, leaves are slightly different, but the flowers were almost identical...I have never seen any variegated lipstick plants before? Is that an EA plant...mine was from Lowe's. I guess I will have to buy another, I really loved the flowers of this one.

Thanks for that link Irina!

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 10:06PM
ks_girl

Irina, Thanks for the link.
They have some great pictures, I saw my Lobbianus there but not my pink Chinanthus.

Puglvr, No mine isn't from EA. I got it at a nursery in KC, same place I got my pink one. They seem to always have Aeschynanthus and Columnea in stock.
I have 9 differant lg lipsticks and several small Columnea.

Jo

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 7:34AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Ohhhhh...I LOVE that one too!! How pretty! You're lucky, all we have in my small town is the big box stores and a couple of small nurseries...rarely do they carry Hoyas or Lipstick plants...too far and few between!!

Thanks for that picture!

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 1:04PM
ima_digger

Oh! ks-girl, what a beautiful plant. I love those pink blooms. I have one little stressed plant like puglvr. Forgot it was outside and it lost three quarters of it's branches. It has one little flower. I guess I'll have to take cuttings of that one branch to fill out the pot. LOL

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
When to repot a strep to a large pot?
This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly...
judyj
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™