mondo vs monkey

mairenn(7-8 GA)April 18, 2006

okay, I give. how do you tell the difference between mondo grass and monkey grass? the pictures on the web are not helping that much.

the stuff in question is in just about full shade. never seen it flower, but then I might just have missed it. it's a little finer and a little darker and floppier than the "monkey grass" in my full sun front bed, but it's about the same size per plant, more or less. it's also massing and spreading much faster.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Mondo grass (Ophiopogon) has a much thinner blade, and it is flat. Monkey grass (Liriope) has a fatter blade, it has some thickness to it, almost succulent compared to mondo grass. Go to Home Depot and compare them side by side. Also, I think that Monkey grass is the one that spreads faster and more aggressively.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 9:32AM
mairenn(7-8 GA)

thanks, esh:)

actually i googled until i got good info. then i went in the back yard and picked some (first clue: deep shade), and took them to the front yard and compared them to the ones I KNOW are monkey grass. turns out I have mondo in the back.

mondo is also softer and floppier. the thing that had me confused was the mondo's new spring growth, which is standing up vertical and bright green at the moment as opposed to its usual Cousin It kind of look.

learn something every day!

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 11:55AM
rdhanson(Zone 7 Georgia)

Also, liriope/monkey grass has visible berries during the winter, and Modo's berry stalks are shorter than the leaves.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 1:13PM
vsjo(z7GA)

Lirope tends to spread as a clump that gets larger and larger. Mondo grass send out a lot more shoots that will spread like a ground cover. Lirope will stay in a row like edging. They are both referred to as monkey grass frequently so use the proper names to get the best info. Lirope will send out some shoots, too, but not nearly as much as Mondo grass. I think both will grow in sun and shade. Lirope has flowers and berries that look quite nice if it gets sun. I am not sure about Mondo but I think it does, too.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 1:27PM
bugsmom

I personally would never plant monkey grass again...I consider it my biggest weed up there with ivy, poke, and wild violets...feel free to come dig up some of my ever sprouting new monkeys!!!!

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Looking for gingko biloba tree to plant
This forum has been so slow recently. Hope a bunch...
rosiew
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
Sponsored Products
Avanity MADISON-VS48-LE Madison 48-in. Light Espresso Single Bathroom Vanity wit
Hayneedle
Bush Stanford 47 inch TV Stand - VS53936-03
$232.99 | Hayneedle
Avanity WESTWOOD-VS30-EB Westwood 30 in. Floor Standing Vanity Combo
Blue Bath
Avanity WESTWOOD-VS30-EB-A Westwood 30 in. Floor Standing Vanity Combo
Blue Bath
Little Bedding by NoJo Jungle Time 3 pc. Comforter Set - 7420276
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Little Bedding by NoJo 3 Little Monkey Boy Crib Set - 7375660
$119.99 | Hayneedle
Avanity KELLY-VS36-GB-C Kelly 36 in. vanity with Carrera White marble top