strep idea

ensatagirl(6a Floyd VA)February 19, 2007

I have many, many community pots (salad bar containers) which are either blooming or ready to bloom. I usually take the blooming ones out and pot them in 8 oz styrafoam cups. But I have started putting the community containers in the livingroom facing east. It is an extraordinary sight when there are five to seven streps of the same kind blooming at once. I am going to put up a special table and move most of the community pots there in front of the window where I can see them all the time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Hi there,

i found that after a certain period of time the roots fill the container, and after that streps deteriorate and catch rootrot quite easily. Since there is not very much soil in your compots - be vigilant.

They really like good natural light. I am still at the office - and I have 6 of them sitting on a windowsill in Oyama pots.

I agree with you 100%. We need to stick them where we can see them all the time and enjoy their bloom.

Good luck

Irina

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 8:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kal2002

Hi ensatagirl,

Sounds like you have been very successful in propagating streps, do you mind sharing your secret with the rest of us? Maybe I can try it your way and see if it works for me. I have never been able to make a strep baby, let alone a community pot. Can you post a picture of your community pots? Thanks.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
When to repot a strep to a large pot?
This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly...
judyj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™