Good commercial sources for gloxinia seed?

rusty_blackhaw(6a)February 11, 2012

I'm looking for colors and combinations that are out of the ordinary.

Both the Empress single strain and Brocade doubles have done well for me, in traditional colors (solid red, pink, white, purple and red picotees). Here are some seed-grown Brocade plants flowering about four months out from sowing:

"

Anyone know of other good varieties available, maybe with speckled markings or in unusual colors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

On ebay you can get Charles Lawn seed. His Sinningia specios are marvelous.

Nancy

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 7:48PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 11:36AM
skaiskai

I'm also looking for Sinningia Sp seed or tubers, especially Chas. Lawn. Are there any sources besides AGGS? I don't seem to find any on ebay ;^(

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 12:08PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Skaiskai -

if you google "gloxinia seeds" - since the common name of Sinningia speciosa is "florist gloxinia" - you will see lots of hits. Amazon sells them, Thompson and Morgan sells them etc.

The issue is that the seeds lose their viablity quite soon, so seed them as soon as you get them - on a surface of the soil in a covered container and give them good light. The rest of the seeds should be stored in a fridge.

Charles Lawn is an Australian, his seeds and tubers very rarely make it here and they are not available commercially. So - keep an eye on ebay until the seller posts them again. Investigate who was selling them - and send him an email through ebay.

Florist gloxinias are not in a vogue right now - so even in a former AGGS - now the Gesneriad Society - you see - even the name "gloxinia' was dropped from the name of the society - not very many people grow them. There are probably some seeds in a Society Seed Fund - but you need to be a member to get access to them. (It is a very good thing to do, to join this society - lots of interesting stuff to grow and good people to socialize.)

Good Luck

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Thompson and Morgan

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Why are streps not as popular as AVs?
It occurred to me a couple months ago-when searching...
judyj
Chirita Tamiana advice, please?
Hello, I'm a faithful "lurker" in this forum,...
mkjones
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™