Geraniums still alive! How to cold-frame them.

esther_bDecember 24, 2012

I can't believe it, but at least 3 of the geraniums (regular old zonals) I planted this summer appear to still be alive, even making new small leaves. Maybe because we haven't yet had a prolonged hard freeze. Is there a way I can cover them, like with a translucent plastic bowl, to keep them alive during the winter? Thanks. Happy Holidays!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

You could take some cutttings and over winter them in your house. Personally, I just buy my zonal geraniums in the spring. So much less trouble.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 10:53AM
hudson___wy

Esther,
If you enjoy Geraniums like we do through the winter - you may try propagating them in the fall and bring them in the house as we did. We propagated 40 Zonal & Ivy Geraniums and are now propagating the propagated Geraniums as they grow. Here is a photo of how the Geraniums looked in late October.

This photo shows the same plants in late December. We now have 50 plants and our count will increase as we continue to propagate. We will continue to cut them back until they are ready to move to our GH - then plant in containers in the spring.

Here is another photo comparing how the plant looks when propagated and how the plant looks in approximately 2 months of growth. We find the Geraniums need very little attention - watering every 4-6 days is about all they require - and you can enjoy the plants over the winter while saving money in the spring.

This post was edited by Hudson...WY on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 10:24

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 10:06AM
treefarmer(z5IN)

I propagate a few in pots that bloom throughout the winter in my south windows but most of them I just pull up, shake the dirt off, put them in plastic grocery bags and keep them under a shelf by the back door of the basement room where it's cool and dark. They go dormant. I pull them out in February, add dirt to the bag, give 'em water and light and most of them start going again. I replant them in the spring. I didn't think it would work until I tried it one year. I haven't bought geraniums in years unless I just see a new color I want. Give it a try.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
Overwintering geraniums.
Hi folks I would like some advice. I have a raised...
averil
Hardy Geranium help..
I am new to gardening in z8b Texas. I had a question...
pinkkpearls
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™