Sinningia speciosa (Gloxinia)

robitaillenancy1(zone 5)February 10, 2012

A friend of mine bought two Noid Sinningia speciosa (Gloxinias). After flowering she noticed some of the centers were turing brown and the leaves of the centers stood straight up. Leaves were not curled or twisted. With a 40X loupe she saw tiny mites crawling in the center.

She cut off all green foliage and stems.

Her question is...will the tuber be free of mite if she repots it?

Since this is likely a seedling will there even be a tuber?

Nancylynn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Nancy - hi -

It has a tuber. they form tubers before they bloom normally.

i would chuck the tuber out, wash it with hot water and dip it in a strong Clorax solution. After that I will put it in a baggie with a sphagnum moss or vermiculite - and i would say in a next couple of months it will resprout.

It is known that cyclamen mites overwinter on cyclamen corms..they probably can stick to sinningia tubers too. but mites cannot survive more than 47C, so probably washing in hot water with soap or Clorax will do the deed.

irina

Bookmark   February 10, 2012 at 6:21PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Thanks, Irina. She kept some seed on one plant. All other foliage has been destroyed. Do you think mite could go into the seed?

Nancy
for Nancylynn

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 7:52PM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

If the plants got as far as flowering there might well be small tubers. If these are washed thoroughly and stored in clean vermiculite or similar material for a couple of months they might be mite-free. I'd expect seeds stored dry in the fridge for a couple of months to be safe.

I use a miticide regularly on both AVs and gloxinias, seeing as how I wind up with distorted growth (especially on AVs) if I don't follow the routine.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 11:35AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I side with Eric. Seeds should be mites free. Th issue - new plants probably won't be copies of mama.

Irina

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
ID? Episcias?
Any thoughts? On lyndonlyon.com I looked it up and...
suyoder
Looking for Streptocarpella cuttings or seeds
I live in Istanbul Turkey and looking for Streptocarpella...
zuhalzeren
Chirita Tamiana advice, please?
Hello, I'm a faithful "lurker" in this forum,...
mkjones
On growing streps larger...?
Today I was wondering if the same effect of disbudding...
judyj
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™