alsobia San Miguel -stem question?

sakmeht(Zone 6)February 19, 2008

Hi all,

I was wondering if you're supposed to bury the bare stem of the alsobias when you re-pot, like you do to african violets. Mine has a good 2 inches of bare stem, but right next to it is what I think is a double crown (it's not rooted). Each of these has stolons coming out from their bases, so if I was to bury the stems the stolons would also be covered. Maybe I can separate the other crown and root it? My plant seems to be doing well... flowering once in awhile. I have it in a terrarium with 120 watts of lighting above it. I really like this plant and don't want it to get overgrown. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Sakmeht -

I do not grow alsobias, I grow episcias - which are closely related . But I bury the long stems parallel to the surface - and they send more roots. You can use a sphagnum moss to top dress your pot - you can pin the long stems to the ground - and cover them with a moss - and pin the stolons to the moss too - everything gets rooted and happy. You cannot keep the same plant forever -it gets overgrown - especially fast in a nice humid terrarium - so eventually you need to sort through it and use rooted stolons to create new and pretty pot.

Hope it helps.

Irina

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
Looking for Streptocarpella cuttings or seeds
I live in Istanbul Turkey and looking for Streptocarpella...
zuhalzeren
Why are streps not as popular as AVs?
It occurred to me a couple months ago-when searching...
judyj
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™