Alsobias vs. episcia

robitaillenancy1(zone 5)February 7, 2006

Do you know the date when two episcia species were first put into the new genus Alsobia. Information is so scanty even on the internet concerning Alsobia.

Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

From "The Miracle Houseplants" I found that Hans Wiehler proposed the transfer of two species of episcia (dianthiflora and punctata) to Alsobia in 1979. Around 1990 a new species of alsobia was discovered that does not make stolons. It is known as Alsobia sp. 'Chiapas'.

From the Episcia Register: "The genus Alsobia based on A. punctata, was established in 1854 by Johannes...von Hanstein.." In 1865 Hanstein included the genus along with six other genera in the genus Episcia. In 1978 Hans Wiehler re-established the genus with the two species.

I recommend finding and buying both The Miracle Houseplant" and the Episcia Register. The latter can be ordered from the Gesneriad Society.

Jon

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 1:08AM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Thanks very much, Jon.
Nancy

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 4:31AM
NANA1946

Do these plants (Alsobias) need to be pot bound to bloom?

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:43PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

I think they are seasonal. Bloom once a year. Out of several Alsobias I have the most floriferous is a hybrid one - "Cygnet" - after it reaches maturity - it blooms all the time but not abundantly. Probably if I remove the evergrowing stolons - it will bloom more.

All gesneriads need to be slightly potbound.

I.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:57PM
snappyguy

I have the aforementioned Alsobia sp. USBRG 1994-005 'Chiapas', and it is seasonal. It likes being pot bound, and a short period of drought in winter is good as well. It undergoes this in nature, loses some leaves, and when water returns begins growing new branches and begins to flower. They are extremely frilly (fimbriate) flowers, white, with small pinkish dots. It's an upright grower that does not produce stolons. Mine is about 12" tall at the moment, but only 6" wide or so.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 1:15PM
alobo

I bought a alsobia Cygnet and it is not very happy as I would like it to be, it produces stolons but not many flowers.

email me :alobo01@hotmail,com

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:34PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

Sounds like it is OK. The do not produce very many flowers, so enjoy every one. Try to pinch the new stolons as soon as they emerge - to direct energy towards bloom.

I.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
A couple of house plants
A few years ago I decided to get rid of Michaels fake...
bouldergrower
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
WANT: Anyone have any lipstick plant cuttings to trade for postag
Im looking for lipstick plant cuttings. I cant find...
tlbean2004
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™