Kossack Kohlrabi

rain1950(W. WA z8)January 22, 2006

Anyone ever try this variety? Supposed to grow to 8 - 10" without getting woody. And I do love kohlrabi!

Park Seed and others carry seed: http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=5779&PrevMainPage=advsearchresults&scChannel=Vegetables%20AS&SearchText=p16.v231;s1.Kohlrabi&OfferCode=S1H

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kailea(4 WI)

Hi! BE SURE to try this one if you like kohlrabi. We have been growing them the past 4 or 5 years and won't go back to the little guys anymore. Here in Wisconsin, they have been great. They, of course, take a little more room, but are worth it. You just won't need as many. In fact, right now, I have "part of one" in the fridge that we are eating on, last one of the season. You can start using them much smaller but they will get large and still be good. (Was probably about 10" long and 6 or so across). They do not get as strong; have a sweeter, milder flavor. Rarely get woody like the little ones. Our garage is not heated, and does not freeze so we pull up the last ones before freezing, wash off mud but leave the roots intact and store in the cold garage. They may shrivel some but after cutting up and setting in water in fridge overnight, they are crisped right back up. We use ours raw as we don't care for them cooked and they are wonderful. Have fun and surprise your friends and neighbors with these giants. I think you'll be happy with them.

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Tall Corn Question
Ok...my Mexican June corn is tasselling....will it...
sandbagger
Avocado Seed
I was wondering if I'd be successful at growing an...
naturalstuff
giant sunflowers
15ft craven/american just in bloom Image link:
giantseeds
Source for giant corn?
Specifically tehua maize, I've looked quite a bit,...
grabmebymyhandle
Please help indentify
Hello, Well I started a garden a few months ago and...
yenstuff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™