When to plant my Dill's Atlantic Giant

cactusrequiemJanuary 29, 2005

Hello,

As I ask this question, Please be assured I have done my homework and I am ready to grow a Giant Pumpkin. My dilema, I want to break the current South Carolina record of 696 pounds. I don't think there is a South Carolina Pumpkin Festival (if anybody knows of one, PLEASE let me know) I would like to enter my "biggie" in the State Fair, (251 days from this posting) or at least enter it in my local fair (269 days from posting) How would I go about getting it weighed for the State Record? When should it get planted for the State Fair? I know they need 120-150 days for growing. Planting in the middle of May seems WAY too late! I would appreciate any help in this matter, If I could I would plant today, I know, only January and we WILL get more frosts. I should also add, I have a greenhouse and COULD plant today if it would help. Thank You in advance!

Darren

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
douglas14(z3/4 MN)

Darren,
I'd probably transplant the small pumpkin plant about 130- 140 days before the fair date. Is that a frost free time for you? Here, in a cooler climate(I'd guess), I planted out in mid May, and my pumpkin was picked in late Sept. It was a very cool summer. If you get real hot weather, your pumpkin may mature significanly faster, than mine did. I wouldn't want a pumpkin that matured a significant time before weighoff, as it may not keep well in the hot summer weather, and could loose water weight.
I'll send you an email soon, if it is accessable through this forum.

Douglas

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Contact Info for Brian Moore?
To all, Had some questions for Brian about Giant sunflowers,...
KSOhio
Help Growing a Carolina Cross Watermelon
I plan on growing the Carolina Cross Watermelon variety...
RyanC95
Dills Atlantic giant X blue Hubbard squash ?
Talk about the "BLUE MAX " HAS anyone crossed...
farmfreedom
Giant Watermelon anyone??
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to grow giant watermelon...
tomatillo
I have a growing conjoined Carolina Cross watermelon
I grow Carolina Cross watermelons for sport. Five days...
coolvol
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™