Columnea species

harrywitmore(Zone7 NC)March 30, 2008

I'm a newcomer to this forum. Actually didn't know it existed. I have become a nut over Columnea species. They are not the easiest to come by but I have had very good luck growing them. Most are in a growing area where the winter temperatures are about 50F minimum and the humidity is 70% or more most of the time. Most all have or are flowering. Many of the plants I have are still too small to share but many are not. So if anyone is like me and looking for a trading partner in this interesting genus of plants please let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Columnea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stappdenise

Hi Harry,
I love your columneas, pity you weren't in oz. I have been tryng to get a columnea collection going with seeds from ges soc seed fund.
But can you tell me what is the small plant that i can just see on the "log" inbetween the broms on the pic. that is inserted in place of no image yet?????
Regards
Deeinoz

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 7:08PM
harrywitmore(Zone7 NC)

Dee, If you are speaking of the small creeping plant I can't. I took this picture at Fairchild Gardens years ago. It looks like it could be a small fern of Peperomia. It could be a Gessie also.
Sorry.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 7:38AM
blondetazz0924(Michigan)

You have some beauties there:) Great looking plants.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 6:58AM
maureen_ottawa(z4)

Hi Harry,

That's quite the collection. I just started into Columnea. I have a number of hybrids but only one species -- C. moorei. I received C. Goldheart for our club sale and have been trying to find out what the bloom color is. Do you know?

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 3:06PM
harrywitmore(Zone7 NC)

My Gold Heart has not flowered but I suspect it's red. My Cascading Beauty (I think) is in full flower now and it's red as is microphylla which may be in the parentage of Gold Heart.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™