My new plant guard

butterfly4uAugust 18, 2012

This little guy was guarding my Grand Duke this

morning, better than insecticides! LOL!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

What a cutie! Wish I had some for my plumerias. We finally got a little rain and all of a sudden the aphids have descended! :)

-Robert

Bookmark   August 19, 2012 at 12:33PM
olympia_gardener(5)

Butterfly, Very cute!. What kind lizard is this?

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 8:48AM
butterfly4u

Olympia,
I don't know what kind he is, they are alot bigger than he is, he is a baby one. They run all over the place here, but I love them so much because they eat those dreaded bugs. Here is a pic of my Grand Duke flower this morning, thanks to little him.

They get about 8 inches long, the little lizards. All the cute little babies from the spring are running around now. I have two plumerias Robert, they are getting real big, but no blooms for me. Oh well, I guess I have to wait til they bloom, i like blooms the year I buy something. They are 3 years old now, so I guess I am getting impatient. Especailly when you have to drag it in the house for winter and it takes up alot of room.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 12:27PM

I know what you mean about waiting for plumerias to bloom! I now have 10 and only 1 is currently blooming. :(
According to the folks on the plumie forum you have to be patient (which I also am not. laugh).
I'm just trying to give them the best growing conditions (gritty fast draining mix, letting them dry between waterings, feeding them...including foliar sprays, giving them tons of sun, etc.).
At least you've got the lizards to liven up the branches! :)

-Robert

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 2:13PM
olympia_gardener(5)

Butterfly, The Duke is nice. Do you prune your Duke after flowering? Mine is growing tall but not many branches.
I found it is best let nature take care itself. I wish I had one of your kind lizard in my yard, but it is too cold here. I do have some spiders, maybe called jumping spider so sort that take care most of common pests on the plants. I don't spread chemical to disturb the balance. In a long run, I really don't need to. The only pest problem I have is the Japanese beetles. I bet these lizard can take them.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 3:05PM
olympia_gardener(5)

Butterfly, The Duke is nice. Do you prune your Duke after flowering? Mine is growing tall but not many branches.
I found it is best let nature take care itself. I wish I had one of your kind lizard in my yard, but it is too cold here. I do have some spiders, maybe called jumping spider so sort that take care most of common pests on the plants. I don't spread chemical to disturb the balance. In a long run, I really don't need to. The only pest problem I have is the Japanese beetles. I bet these lizard can take them.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 3:06PM
jeff_al

looks like the geico spokes-lizzard! :-)
actually, it is an american anole or carolina anole.
i have them, too, and enjoy watching them move among the plants on and around the carport.
i brought an achmea bromeliad inside for the winter some years back and the "tubes" had become homes for about 3 or 4 of those lizards.

Here is a link that might be useful: carolina anole

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 10:59AM
butterfly4u

Thanks Jeff, I didn't know the name.
Olympia, I prune it back after it flowers, yes, it is getting bushier. Over the winter last year it grew real tall and lanky looking, so in the spring when I put it outside i cut off the tall growth.
I will cut it down low when I bring it in again for the winter. It will grow all winter and I just keep cutting it back.
It really is putting out alot of blooms this summer, constantly blooming, I am wondering if it is because i keep cutting it. Does Grand Duke bloom on new growth?

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 12:19AM
kandhi(z7VA)

butterfly4u, Trimming is always good as it encourages new growth. True jasmines sp bloom on new growth. I generally trim all my jasmines to half their size to bring them indoors to avoid spider mites and other bud problem. You can use the cuttings to make new plants.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 8:24AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

That's beautiful Butterfly! I have never had any success with this plant, in fact, the only one! Mine have always been brats!

I hope you are well. I responded to your other thread weeks back, but I don't think you ever saw it. Been thinking of you. I will link you.

I hope everyone here is enjoying the last days of summer. I am already starting to get my seasonal depression. The lizard did make me smile though!:-)

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Doe anyone have a butterfly bush

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Fragrant book reviews!
I was all in love with my latest fragrant book that...
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme'.
I cannot honestly remember if it is just GDT or the...
andrew78
I'm looking for Aglaia odorata or Chloranthus spicatus.
Hi, I live in Poland and I'm looking for Aglaia odorata...
8hydroxyquinoline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™