Start indoors now??

crabjoe(z7 MD)February 14, 2005

I picked up some giant watermelon and canalope seeds to try this year and since I've never started anything from seed, I don't know when to start or which way would be the best.

Originally, I was going to start them indoors then transplant outside after the last frost, but a guy at work (small farm at his home that he grows for a veggie stand), tells me to just wait until the ground is nice a warm and directly sow the seeds under a black plastic bag (with a hole for the vine to pop up through).

So what do you think? Should I go with my original plan, use his or maybe something else?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davemidohio(5 OH)

The answer to that is simple - there is no single answer! How long do the w-melons and cantalopes take to mature? That should be on the seed packet. If your growing season is long enough to accomodate them, you might as well sow them directly. I would cushion your growing season by 10-15 days to allow for any crappy weather early on that might cause the plants to hunker down for a while.

If you need them ripe sooner (for competitions or family reunions, etc.) then start them indoors. I would not do this sooner than 2 (least) to 5(most) weeks before last frost-free date. Two weeks isn't a lot of head start so you don't gain much and after 5 weeks you may have something like Invasion of the Bodysnatchers growing in your house!

I did giant corn and sunflowers last year and planted them direct, which worked fine. They were both about 90 days. I am planning on starting the sunflowers indoors this year, but only because I love gardening and that will help with my early season itch. I have already been out poking around my perrenial beds and it snowed again today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Compost Tea?
Add the Compost to your garden forget the tea. Good...
tohechito
Source for giant corn?
Specifically tehua maize, I've looked quite a bit,...
grabmebymyhandle
Avocado Seed
I was wondering if I'd be successful at growing an...
naturalstuff
Giant Watermelon anyone??
Hey everyone. I'm wanting to grow giant watermelon...
tomatillo
Gaint tomatoes
Can anyone recommend a gaint tomato variety for southern...
cdsj
Sponsored Products
The Sole Secret Black Chain Shoe Storage Bench
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LR Resources Rugs Senses Shag Beige 5 ft.
Home Depot
Small Canister
$85.00 | Horchow
Taupe Alfresco indoor/Outdoor Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Design Toscano The Polar Bear Pair Sculpture - KY1837
$214.52 | Hayneedle
Moss letters - letter u
Origin Crafts
Tropitone Portofino 11 Feet Wide Crank Lift No Tilt Portofino Umbrella
LuxeDecor
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Palace Row Sage/Beige 8 ft.
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™