Lighting for mixed gesneriad seedlings

snappyguyMarch 14, 2012

I have a container of gesneriad seedlings that came from a mixed packet. The seeds included Achimenes erecta, Primulina tamiana, Nematanthus albus, Columnea linearis, Columnea hybrids, Nautilocalyx mellitifolius, Sinningia speciosa, Chirita viola, Chirita sp. from Phuket, mixed mini Sinningia hybrids, and mixed Streptocarpus hybrids. I had been growing them on a kitchen counter top with natural light, but they weren't getting enough light, and it wasn't the most convenient location. I moved them and have a 17W T8 aquarium lamp about 12" above the seedlings with a light cycle of 12 hours on, 12 off. The seedlings are just now beginning to put out true leaves. Do the lighting parameters sound ok, and if not, what would you change? I've grown a lot of gessies, but never from seed. New ground here.

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Mark -

I would move them closer to the lamp = probably 6-8". Most of this stuff is AV requirement lightwise. And you probably need to think about repotting them now before they became one tangled mess. Toothpick works. Or you can take little clumps and put them in water to untangle - as M3rma1d suggested some time ago . At that point they will root immediately even if you damage the roots - and moved seedlings grow much faster.

I.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Sponsored Products
Howard Elliott Montreal Wall Mirror - 26W x 40H in. - 2107KH
$249.90 | Hayneedle
Transitional 2-Light Golden Bronze Island Light
Overstock.com
Jedi Indoor/Outdoor LED Wall Sconce by Modern Forms
$269.00 | Lumens
Orange Chandelier
FRONTGATE
Flos | Taraxacum 88 S1
YLighting
Scatter Giclee Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™